- Title: Georgana’s Secret
- Author: Arlem Hawks
- Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing on January 12, 2021
- Genre: Regency Romance
- Pages: 320
- Formats Available: Paperback, Audiobook, & Digital Editions
- Rating: 5/5
Trigger Warnings: Graphic Violence, Bullying, Child Abuse
Many thanks to Laurel of Austenprose Blog Tours, Arlem Hawks, and Shadow Mountain Publishing for providing me with an ARC copy of Georgana’s Secret in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine.
Some of the links on this blog are affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Georgana’s Secret Blurb
A Regency romance on the high seas. Two hearts yearning to find a safe harbor, and possibly, a lasting love.
As a young girl, Georgana Woodall dreamed of beautiful dresses, fancy balls, and falling in love. However, when her mother dies, she cannot face a future under the guardianship of her abusive grandmother and instead chooses to join her father on his ship disguised as his cabin boy, “George.”
Lieutenant Dominic Peyton has no time in his life for love, not with his dedication to His Majesty’s Royal Navy claiming his full attention. While trying to adjust to a new crew, he strives to be an exemplary officer and leader. When he sees the captain’s cabin boy being harassed by the crew, he immediately puts a stop to it and takes the “boy” under his wing. After discovering a number of clues, Dominic deduces that George is really a woman. Knowing that revealing the cabin boy’s secret would put her in serious danger from the rowdy crew, Dominic keeps silent and hides his growing affection for her.
Georgana is quickly losing her heart to Dominic’s compassion and care but is convinced nothing can come of her affection. She cannot continue to live her life on the sea, and having already missed too many seasons in London, her chances of being welcomed back into polite society and finding a suitable husband are quickly slipping away.Provided for blog tour use
Arlem Hawks has blown me away with her debut novel, Georgana’s Secret. Romance is my favorite genre, regardless of how many non-romance reviews are here on the blog. But, I know good romance, and this is it.
This novel tugs at all the emotional heartstrings. You have a young girl who has lived a life no child should ever live. Then, with things unfolding as they do, she ends up as a cabin boy catering to her ship’s Captain father. She then endures mistreatment from the crew. Thus leaving one bad situation for another.
When Dominic takes her under his wing, the story comes together. The reader knows that George is a girl that brings a few laughs as long as Dominic is clueless. I had a few good chuckles at Dominic’s expense.
This trope is not new to me. I expected a generic accidental feel of George’s bindings or what have you as the revelation. But, the reveal was much more brainy, and I loved it! Dominic is smart in addition to his brawn, and that the author used this method excited me.
One reason why I love historical romance novels is that I can experience a life that I otherwise couldn’t. Where else would I find myself on a frigate leading merchant ships to the Caribbean using a sextant? I mean, you can go anywhere with a good book, but historical romance has a little something extra. It makes me feel alive. Georgana’s Secret is so good that I never once believed I wasn’t aboard the Deborah.
I am pleased to award Georgana’s Secret a full 5 out of 5 stars. If romance is your thing, you definitely will not want to miss this one. Now, if I could find my own Dominic, we would be all set.
About the Author – Arlem Hawks
Arlem Hawks began making up stories before she could write. Living all over the Western United States and traveling around the world gave her a love of cultures and people and the stories they have to tell. With her travels came an interest in history, especially the history of her English heritage. When she isn’t writing, Arlem is baking her characters’ favorite foods, sewing Regency dresses, learning how to play the tin whistle, and water coloring. She lives in Arizona with her husband and two children. Having previously published four historical romance novellas, Georgana’s Secret is her debut novel.
Join the virtual blog tour of GEORGANA’S SECRET (Proper Romance Regency), Arlem Hawks’ highly acclaimed debut historical romance novel January 11 – February 14, 2021. Over forty-five popular blogs specializing in historical romance, inspirational fiction, and Austenesque fiction will join in the celebration of its release with excerpts, spotlights, and reviews of this new Regency-era novel set aboard a Royal Naval ship.
BLOG TOUR SCHEDULE:
- Jan 11 My Jane Austen Book Club Excerpt
- Jan 11 Austenprose — A Jane Austen Blog Review
- Jan 12 Wishful Endings Review
- Jan 12 Lu Reviews Books Review
- Jan 13 Lady with a Quill Review
- Jan 13 Timeless Novels Review
- Jan 14 Reading is My Superpower Review
- Jan 14 The Bibliophile Files Review
- Jan 15 Randi Loves 2 Read Review
- Jan 16 The Christian Fiction Girl Excerpt
- Jan 17 Nurse Bookie Review
- Jan 18 The Silver Petticoat Review Review
- Jan 18 Heidi Reads Review
- Jan 19 Bookfoolery Review
- Jan 20 Captivated Reading Review
- Jan 21 Greenish Bookshelf Review
- Jan 21 Bookworm Lisa Review
- Jan 22 Among the Reads Review
- Jan 23 Gwedalyn’s Books Review
- Jan 24 My Bookish Bliss Review
- Jan 25 Wishful Endings Excerpt
- Jan 25 Christian Chick’s Thoughts Review
- Jan 26 Relz Reviewz Review
- Jan 27 The Lit Bitch Review
- Jan 28 Reading with Emily Review
- Jan 29 Books, Teacups & Reviews Review
- Jan 30 A Darn Good Read Review
- Jan 31 From Pemberley to Milton Spotlight
- Jan 31 Impressions in Ink Review
- Feb 01 Austenesque Reviews Review
- Feb 02 Laura’s Reviews Review
- Feb 03 Literary Time Out Review
- Feb 04 Chicks, Rogues & Scandals Excerpt
- Feb 05 The Bluestocking Review
- Feb 05 Library of Clean Reads Review
- Feb 06 The Caffeinated Bibliophile Spotlight
- Feb 07 So Little Time… Spotlight
- Feb 08 The Readathon Review
- Feb 09 The Book Diva Reads Excerpt
- Feb 09 Books and Socks Rock Review
- Feb 10 Our Book Confessions Review
- Feb 10 Encouraging Words from the Tea Queen Spotlight
- Feb 11 Rosanne E. Lortz Review
- Feb 11 Jorie Loves a Story Review
- Feb 12 Fire & Ice Excerpt
- Feb 13 Cup of Tea with that Book, Please Review
- Feb 14 Book Confessions of an Ex-ballerina Review